IN TUNE AND IN TIME
JUST ELVIS and a few cohorts:
Undeniably, ELVIS PRESLEY served as a catalyst in the evolution of a genre that became known as” rock and roll”. We are also well aware of his significance to what is termed “popular music”. Born in Tupelo, Mississippi (1935), ELVIS at age 13 moved to Memphis, Tennessee, with his mother and father,where he started his musical journey. Today, as his original recordings are studied,one finds it extremely difficult to label or categorize said recordings, as ELVIS sampled and mixed genres from a huge musical palette including gospel, hillbilly, and virtually anything and everything available to his ears.
Today, we will “tune” in to some of Elvis’ charting cohorts.
This true original was overweight, over thirty and not overly impressive on stage yet some musicologists claim he possesses the FIRST #1 Rock n Roll hit. He is A) BUDDY HOLLY B)BILL HALEY C)BIG JOE TURNER D)JERRY LEE LEWIS .
This song heard in the 1955 film BLACKBOARD JUNGLE has conviently been used as the “line of demarcation” between the “rock” era and what had preceded it. This record sold over ONE Million copies in each of The United States, Germany and Britain …This tune was: A) SHAKE RATTLE AND ROLL B)THAT’S ALL RIGHT C)ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK D)HEY JUDE.
His names include THE REVEREND, THE MACON MANIAC, and Mr. PENNIMAN but you and I know him better as A) CHARLES MANSON B)KRIS KRISTOFFERSON C)RICHARD SIMMONS D)LITTLE RICHARD.
One of the true originals, CHUCK BERRY’S tune about a car started as a song entitled “IDA RED”…This tune is more familiar as A)LITTLE DEUCE COUPE B)MAYBELLINE C)LIVING IN THE USA D) CAR 54, WHERE ARE YOU? .0
CHUCK BERRY’S First #1 hit was…A) MAYBELLINE B)ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN C)JOHNNY B. GOODE D)MY DING A LING.
JILES PERRY RICHARDSON died in the same plane crash as did BUDDY HOLLY. JP was better known as A) SWEARING STEVEN “SHORT-SHORTS” SWARTZ B)RICHIE VALENS C)THE BIG BOPPER D)STEVIE RAY VAUGHN.
NAME THAT TUNE: The BIG BOPPER’s hit tune was………..
TRUE or FALSE: Along with JP Richardson AKA THE BIG BOPPER, BUDDY HOLLY and RICHIE HAVENS also died together in the same plane crash.
This CARL PERKINS tune was the FIRST song to TOP the POP, COUNTRY and RnB charts at the same time. It is: A)HONEY DON”T B)MATCHBOX C)BLUE SUEDE SHOES D)YELLOW SUBMARINE.
As the DJ of the nightly “MOONDOG ROCK nROLL PARTY” this gentleman tried to copyright the term ROCK AND ROLL, he was A)COUSIN BRUCE MORROW B)MURRAY THE K C)ALAN FREED D) B.MITCHELL REED.
The answers, the way I see it: (1)The last single was MY WAY with a b-side of AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL, released a few days AFTER Elvis’ death.
(2) ELVIS had an amazing career with 18 #1 hits; 38 TOP TENS. Musicologists debate this number because one record, the a-side of which was HOUND DOG was #1 for 5 weeks, while it’s B-side was #1 for the next 6 weeks. The B-side was… D) DON’T BE CRUEL
(3) Elvis had a few big hits on SUN RECORDS before RCA purchased his contract. THE KING’s first RCA hit was B)HEARTBREAK HOTEL .
(4) ELVIS recorded 24 songs during 1953-1955, some were self-financed demos. Of the 24, ten were released as 5 singles(a-sides,b-sides) on the SUN label. Today one of those 45’s or 78’s could fetch thousands of dollars for collectors (especially SUN209 released July 19,1954). The b-side was BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY….The A-side was B) THAT”S ALL RIGHT.
(5) Sam Phillips sold ELVIS’s contract to RCA for D) $35,000 plus $5000 which he owed ELVIS in royalties.
(6) ELVIS’s harmony group was known as B) The Jordanaires
(7) ELVIS served in the military from 1958 thru 1960. He left with the rank of.. D) SGT.
(8) THE MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET ,of which ELVIS was affiliated, got together at SUN Studios on December 4,1956.This quartet consisted of Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and.. B)JERRY LEE LEWIS.
(9) and (10) and BONUS:
This TRAVELIN’MAN outsold everybody during the 1950’s except ELVIS and PAT BOONE. He usually performed at the end of the hit TV show, OZZIE AND HARRIET, his name was Rick/Ricky Nelson and HIS BROTHER was Dave/David.
Hope all is well….”tomorrow is another day”.